Saturday, December 27, 2008

Movement

Okay, so there is something that's been bugging me a bit. There is a relatively new movement in the church that basically says that whatever you want to do is fine. Whatever you want to believe. As long as you believe Jesus Christ died on the cross for our sins and rose again. Everything else is fair game. This thought process bothers me. Now I know that the push behind it may be good. People are tired of the church and want to see movement. People are hurt by the church. People think the church is ineffective. And to a point I agree with that. But we're forgetting one intrigual thing here. We are the church. And using "good beer" as a way to draw people is bunk. I have nothing against drinking or doing whatever you want. Paul even said that everything is permissable... but the second part of that is that everything is not beneficial. As Christians it is our calling to be different from the world. Different is uncomfortable. Different is hated. Different changes the world. We need to be that change

1 comment:

Mike Niehouse said...

I have a hard time with this subject matter. I have no love for the post-modernistic movement, and especially not in the church. The most dangerous thing with bringing that into the church is the idea that there is no absolute truth and no absolute morals. I'm sorry, that just isn't the case.

Don't ever forget the message of the cross is foolishness to the world, and it is an offense. "Don't you dare try to tell me how to live. Don't tell me I have sin in my life!" It's offensive to hear that the way I am living is not biblical. And there is much we could say about grace, since we are free because of the blood. At the same time, we need to strive to live a holy life.

I'm not one to judge or point fingers. I do everything I can to keep from passing judgment. And I don't walk up to people on the street and tell them they're going to hell if they don't do this, this and this. At the same time, I am about evangelism and reaching the lost. There is a difficult balance that needs to be reached when speaking to the unchurched.

I think when you mentioned "good beer" you opened a whole new can of worms. I don't personally believe it is immoral to drink, but rather to drink is excess. The Bible is more than clear of God's disdain for drunkards.

I'm a bit put off that any church would give access to something that causes problems, whatever their own doctrines might have to say about that particular item.

Permit me to draw a correlation. I believe it is fine to observe a woman and appreciate her beauty. I might even go so far as to think "Geez, she's hot!" And it is natural to look at her features and outward appearance. But to continue to stare and obsess generally leads to problems with one's thought life, especially in a guy. So should the church now give out magazine's with pictures of scantly clad women (or men for the ladies in the church)? It doesn't make any sense to promote something and cause someone to stumble simply because something is permissible!